Wednesday, July 1, 2015

FOODIE

Reflections Bistro


Laura Kohrs - Owner

As we walk into the courtyard at the Lightner Museum, we can't help but take a moment to stand in awe of the beautiful oasis that sits inside our local government building. The lush greenery and rippling reflecting pool urge you into silence as you take in the beauty of the well maintained garden. Along the walls of the building are a collage of antique jewelry stores, wedding venues, and government offices. Nestled into this tiny community of businesses is its newest member, Reflections Bistro.

Open for just over a year, Reflections Bistro has become a staple for our city's bureaucrats and families who are visiting our seaside safe-haven. With fresh, made-to-order food its not difficult to see why its so popular with most who try it. Specializing in panini pressed sandwiches made with Boar's Head products, the lunch we experienced was just superb. The Bistro offers indoor and outdoor seating, the latter of which is absolutely breathtaking. The outside seating for Reflections Bistro is placed in the corridors surrounding the courtyard, so no need to worry about being in the sun. As we sat and enjoyed our lunch in the cool summer shade, we could hear babbling water from the reflecting pool and saw the tiniest birds flitting about the massive palm trees that dot the garden. After enjoying our lunch and some iced lattes we got a chance to sit down with the new business owner and find out just how it all started.



Laura Kohrs

                   "About three years ago, my husband Kristian and I started out with a small glass gallery on Aviles Street called Natural Reflections. After a few months of purchasing my own lunch from various established downtown eateries, I realized that I wasn't actually eating the lunch I wanted. I was eating the lunch available, and that's when it hit me. I realized that there was a gap to fill in the lunch options provided in the historic district." 


                 This realization led to Laura to open the cozy, garden-side Bistro and dive head first into a new business. From the gallery on Aviles Laura was able to meet and become rather close friends with not only other business owners but also influential people in the downtown area. These new connections made it possible to find the perfect location for her new business adventure.

For the Locals : What made you choose this location in particular?

Laura Kohrs
"I think that the courtyard was probably the biggest perk of this location. Its just so beautiful and serene. For the customers to be able to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air with their meal, its just a great option to be able to give people. The view is just too pretty not to enjoy! Also, the central location in town made the location ideal as well. The employees in the government building have become some of the best regulars I have had the pleasure of meeting."


For the Locals : Who or what inspired your menu?

Laura Kohrs
"My time spent on Aviles was filled with purchasing my own lunch from an assortment of eateries and I soon came to the realization that there was a gap in the downtown menu. I wanted to create a menu that would be able to fill this need of a moderately priced, fresh, high-quality ingredient sandwich shop. At Reflections Bistro, we wanted to be able to offer a wide variety lunch menu while staying true to our small size. We are proud to offer a kid's menu, salads, daily soups, pastries, espresso, coffee, and ice cold bottle water for those hot summer days. For our award-winning sandwiches, w
e serve only Boar's Head products on fresh, local made Italian loaves. We also offer vegetarian and gluten-free options for our patrons. While finalizing the menu, my husband and I made sure we were able to offer something that anyone could enjoy."


For the Locals : Do you have a favorite menu item?


Laura Kohrs
"Most definitely our San Sebastian Sandwich, it has ham, granny smith apples, and brie cheese. I literally can't help myself, I probably eat one once a week."




  

For the Locals : Can you tell us about the art?

Laura Kohrs
" Actually, I think my husband would be better suited to give you information on that aspect of our business."




Kristian Kohrs
" I've been blowing glass for over fifteen years now and Natural Reflections was our second gallery location. Our first gallery was located inside a local sandwich shop called High Tide Cafe that was located where the Urban Back40 is now. Being able to open a gallery on Aviles gave us a location to promote when we traveled to music festivals or local farmer's markets."




"I have a small workshop where I blow all the glass by hand and my wife beads all of the jewelry. We're a pretty great team."




"Every piece of jewelry is completely unique."


No comments:

Post a Comment